Salary: to £40k doe
My client is a family owned and run group of companies, established over 30 years.
They have a small, but agile team, which are dedicated and highly-valued. The culture is dynamic and fast moving, yet caring and intimate; where everything you do makes a difference. Working closely with the business owners, there is ample opportunity to be noticed and recognised for your efforts.
This is a great opportunity to join the business on their transformation journey which is only just beginning. It needs a great Commercial Manager who perhaps has worked in a large corporate but is now happy to work within a smaller business bringing that knowledge and experience to the role and company. Equally it could suit someone on the way up in their career who has 3-5 years experience of commercial projects, procurement, sales and bids.
This role is suitable for someone who enjoys commerce, negotiation and in developing positive business relationships, is self motivated and able to think and work strategically. You will be content working in a small team and will relish relative autonomy with the ability to deliver tangible business improvements.
This role will suit someone who is
- Agile and flexible in their approach to their work
- Someone who can work in a small family run business with its own complex dynamics
- Be prepared to muck in and help the business get where they need to be over a 6-12 month period
- Take the business on a journey and make the role your own
About this role:
Now looking for a talented individual with a passion for commerce and driving business improvement. A key part of a small, dynamic team, the role offers huge variety and opportunities to perform. If you are seeking to broaden your experience or develop existing skills, this is a role which can really add value to a growing local business.
This is an exciting time to join the business, they are at the beginning of a period of growth and change and this is a pivotal role which they hope the right candidate will take on and develop to provide a centre of excellence and expertise for all commercial activity and lead a programme of improvements to business systems and processes, reporting directly to the Managing Director.
Before supplying equipment and personnel to their customers, they seek to understand them, their project and their requirements; so they can deliver the best possible service. Their vision is that the Commercial Manager will be at the forefront of this; developing and managing customer relationships; from first contact, right through to account settlement. You will be directly involved in promoting the business, preparing proposals, finalising contracts, invoicing and gathering feedback.
Drawing upon your project management experience, you will have a methodical approach to scoping and preparing each project for efficient handover to the operations team. You will ensure that every project can be executed in a manner which preserves the environment and the safety, health and well-being of all stakeholders; meeting or exceeding applicable legislation.
You’ll also be responsible for driving excellence through every aspect of the procurement process; analysing and optimising spend and then setting policy and procedures which propagate this best practice. You’ll use your commercial expertise to identify sourcing options which deliver required goods and services, on time and at best value, whilst minimising levels of inventory.
Process efficiency plays a key part in ensuring the effectiveness of every stakeholder, especially in a small team. Once you have taken time to familiarise yourself with the systems, you will take a lead role in improving the efficiency of through a combination of technology and process improvements, including the SAGE system.
Making all this happen is very much about communication; you will be liaising closely with a broad range of people both within the business and externally at various levels to ensure that our requirements can be met. You’ll bring to the position contractual and relationship management experience and should be able to demonstrate an ability to build and maintain mutually beneficial and effective business partnerships.
In addition to receiving a competitive salary and pension for working in a beautiful part of the UK, you will have the chance to make this new role your own in a team which recognises and values all that you contribute.
You will enjoy commerce, negotiation and developing positive business relationships. You will be self-motivated with the ability to think and work strategically. You will be content working in a small team and relish relative autonomy and the opportunity to deliver tangible business improvements. You will be comfortable to work alongside the Managing Director to shape your role from the ground up, knowing that the full role will not be performed until it has been fully developed.
- Familiar with UK safety, health and environmental legislation & comfortable in undertaking risk analysis (in a project context)
- Experience of building and maintaining effective professional relationships
- Proficient in use of MS Office software core products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Publisher)
- Relevant Bachelor Degree. Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply member status.
- Proficient in the use of Sage business systems and peripheral applications.
- Proficient in use of MS Project
- Proven experience in commercial tendering, estimating, contracting and/or project management.
- Application of continuous improvement tools and techniques (such as Lean or equivalent), process analysis and visual management.
- Direct involvement or a connection with the marine industry
- Delivering improvements through strategic procurement initiatives.
- Leading change projects and programmes